All You Need To Know

Detailed below is information about regulations involving panic devices in the UK. Please call us on 0131 444 1149 if you need any further help selecting a panic device.

Emergency Exit Hardware: A Guide to European Standards & CE Marking.

The UK construction products regulations require panic and emergency exit devices for use on escape doors to be safe and durable.

BRITISH/EUROPEAN STANDARDS BS EN1125/179 are now the recognised way an official Notified Certification Body proves both the product and the manufacturers control, before Marking can be applied.


BS EN1125 1997 - Panic Exit Devices Experience relating to escape from buildings and general safety have made it desirable that doors at exits in public buildings and places as well as shops etc. should be fitted with panic devices operated by a horizontal bar. The emphasis for products covered by this standard is ON SAFE EXIT RATHER THAN SECURITY.

BS EN179 1998 - Emergency Exit Devices
This standard covers devices to be used in emergency situations where people are familiar with the emergency exit and its hardware and therefore a panic situation is most unlikely to develop. Lever handle operated escape mortice locks or push pads may therefore be used. These devices must not be used in open public areas.

Double Panic Bolts for Double Rebated Doors: The Traditional Double panic bolt is NO LONGER PERMISSIBLE under the requirements of the new standard. Specifications MUST PROVIDE a single panic bolt and panic latch for pairs of doors with REBATED meeting stiles. When panic latches are used in this situation they must be fitted to the first opening leaf of the door set. Pairs of doors with plain meeting stiles should be fitted with two single panic bolts.

Disclaimer: This information is correct at the time of writing (2013) but is to be used as a guide to selecting products only. Please always double check any regulations relating to UK construction law. EHS Architectural Ltd cannot be held responsible for information supplied to you on this website that is subject to a change of legal building requirements. This information does not apply outside the UK and you should check the requirements relating to the relevant country where the construction is taking place.